Esophageal Dysphagia: What the SLP Needs to Know
Presented by: Julie A. Huffman, MA, CCC-SLP
After this webinar, you will be able to…
- The participant will be able to describe the role of the SLP in esophageal dysphagia.
- The participant will be able to list clinical symptoms and history consistent with esophageal dysphagia.
- The participant will be able to describe when to make a referral for additional testing or to the gastroenterologist (GI) as appropriate.
- 0-5 Minutes: Introduction
- 5-10 Minutes: The SLP’s role in esophageal dysphagia
- 10-15 Minutes: Relationship between oropharynx and esophagus
- 15-30 Minutes: Chart review, history, clinical symptoms
- 35-45 Minutes: Disorder of the esophagus-overview
- 45-55 Minutes: Tests for esophageal function, making informed referrals
- 55-60 Minutes: Summary and Q&A
ASHA Continuing Education Units (CEUs): This program is offered for 0.1 ASHA CEUs (Introductory level, Professional area)
Julie A. Huffman, MA, CCC-SLP
Julie Huffman is a speech-language pathologist at UNC Rex Hospital in Raleigh, NC. She has 23 years experience in dysphagia evaluation and treatment in a variety of settings. She currently serves as Preceptor for Speech-Language Pathology services at her hospital with a staff of 30 SLPs. She has had a special interest in esophageal disorders as they affect oropharyngeal swallowing for the last 16+ years. She has been instrumental in devising new protocols to include consideration of the esophagus for both FEES and MBS studies throughout the continuum of care in her hospital system. She has been teaching on the subject for over 12 years. She also teaches FEES. She is a graduate of the State University of New York at Buffalo.
- Financial— Receives a fee for presenting this information.
- Financial – Receives a payment as the owner and sole operator of Julie A. Huffman
- Nonfinancial— No relevant nonfinancial relationship exists.
Additional Info and FAQ:
Can I get continuing education for this webinar?
After watching the webinar, you will need to pass a short quiz with at least 80% accuracy to obtain credit for your participation. The link to the quiz will be emailed to you seperately. Once completed, we will email you a certificate of completion within 48 hours.
If you’d like to earn ASHA CEUs for the presentation, we can report your completion to ASHA. ASHA CEUs are awarded to those that meet eligibility criteria by the ASHA CE Registry upon receipt of the ASHA CEU Participant Form from the ASHA Approved CE Provider.
What is the Refund/Cancellation Policy?
Click here to view our policy: https://mobiledysphagiadiagnostics.com/cancellations-of-courses-and-events/
What can I do if I have a complaint?
Please contact us at email@example.com
Who is this webinar appropriate for?
The target audience for this webinar is licensed speech-language pathologists. There are no prerequisite skills or knowledge needed beyond the basic speech-language pathology training and licensing.
What if I need special accommodations?
If you require accommodations to access these materials due to a disability, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Esophageal Dysphagia: What the SLP Needs to Know Registration Form
*enter 00000000 if you do not know your ASHA number